A day in the life: Andrew Beller
Talking fashion with Primark's own Andrew Beller
Andrew Beller is one of our talented menswear designers, whose ideas and eye help give direction to Primark’s men’s collections. Beller was born and raised in America and is now based in Ireland, where he works from our Dublin head office. We got to spend time with him during London Collection Men’s, getting a sneak peek into the first stages of the creative process. We watched while he drew inspiration from his notebook sketches, capturing the industry's best-dressed with his camera.
Choosing a style icon seemed easy for the designer, who picked the late Nirvana front man Kurt Cobain. “My first CD was ‘In Utero’ by Nirvana, and he has always inspired my personal style.”
Beller gets excited about Cobain’s distinctive fashion style: “He was totally original, and looked amazing even when he was trying to look awful!”
The designer describes his own fashion vibe as “very casual”. Keeping it simple and opting out of dressing up is his signature style.“You’ll rarely see me in a tie, even if I’m wearing a suit. My favorite outfit is a pair of cuffed jeans or pants and a basic tee, with a lightweight coat and sneakers. I definitely prefer keeping it simple!”
When it comes to Main Street vs. high fashion, Beller likes to mix it up. The designer focuses on statement luxury pieces like jackets, and mix them with vintage one-offs and less pricey mainstream designs. “I occasionally splurge on jackets, shirts, denim and basics from high fashion brands, then combine them with my favorite mainstream brand pieces. I’m also a big fan of the classics – so I’ll always have something vintage thrown in there.”
What are your top three hacks to get through London Collections Men?
1. A smartphone
2. A nice pair of shoes
3. Cups and cups of coffee!
Five questions for Andrew
1. What's a typical day for you? Getting inspiration, sketching new prints/pieces, going on shopping trips to see what new trends are out there, working with buyers to plan upcoming seasons, picking the looks for upcoming campaigns... In fashion, you’re always doing something different – which helps keep it interesting. You never have the same day twice.
2. I started my career designing graphics for tees, hoodies, etc., and have been in the industry ever since.
3. What’s the best career advice you’ve been given and what advice would you give to newbie designers? The most important thing is just to work hard! It’s not the most glamorous advice – but you’d be surprised what you’re capable of if you put in the time and effort.
4. How would you describe your role at Primark, and what’s your favorite part of the job? I work alongside a team of very talented designers to identify upcoming menswear trends, and design the clothes each season for Primark’s amazing fashion at amazing prices. My favorite part of the job is traveling and seeing new brands, and how people dress in different cities.
5. Where’s your favorite city to visit and why? I love New York. My wife and I lived there for 5 years, so we love to go back to shop, eat, and see all our friends!