Day In The Life: Marcelo Rodrigues
Hanging out with Marcelo
As a trainee buyer, Marcelo feels that no two days are the same: "There’s no such thing as a normal day--that's what makes the job exciting! We're involved from the initial concept of the product until the end, when it’s ready to go to the shop floor; but in between, there are months of creative and admin work."
What excites Marcelo most about LC:M is how it gets his creative juices flowing: “There’s inspiration everywhere.” When asked about his style tips for next season, he suggests dressier cropped pants with a bomber jacket, because both items are hot right now in menswear. The bomber jacket and cropped pants are trendy on Main Street, too. And Primark has lots for the season ahead at wallet-friendly prices. Says Marcelo, “There are tons of options coming soon--they're totally affordable, so there are no excuses!”
Five Questions For Marcelo:
1. What's a typical day in your life like? I work in the Leisurewear and Performance Wear department, so usually I meet with my team on Monday afternoons to plan for the week ahead. I’m responsible for buying Performance, and also for most of the admin work. I try to plan out my hours as much as I can. For example: from 10am to 1pm, I go through all the system amendments that need to be done. From 2pm to 5pm I’ll deal with development for Performance. There’s always a lot to do, but if you're organized and prioritize the work, it runs smoothly.
2. How did you get into fashion buying? I came to Ireland from Brazil to study English for six months, and I got a job in Primark. I ended up staying in Dublin, so I worked on the shop floor as a sales assistant for over four years. Then a job came up in the head office, and I applied and got it!
3. What’s the best career advice you’ve been given, and what advice would you give newbie buyers? When I was a sales assistant, a lady who was a shoe designer told me to learn as much as possible about the product in-store and that it would all come together in the end. I'd say if it's something that you're passionate about, just go for it! But keep in mind that this is the kind of job where you're connected 24/7: it never stops, but it can be really fun.
4. How would you describe your role, and what’s your favorite part of the job? We do so many things at the same time that you're never bored.
5. Where’s your fave city to visit and why? London. Everything happens there and people dress so cool. And there are so many places to go! I love the fact that I've been there so many times. At the same time, when I’m there I feel like I know the place so well now, it's almost like I'm not abroad.