#PrimarkMeets Duck & Dry Xpress
Famous for their bouncy blow drys, on-trend design and buzzy atmosphere, Duck & Dry, founded by Yulia Rorstrom, has captured the hearts (and hair) of London’s pamper-istas. Now this bustling beauty bar has collaborated with Primark to take their expertise further afield, including opening in our stunning new Birmingham, England store. In Blighty for a vacay? With three stations for all your beauty wants, you won’t be short of ways to feel indulged. Whether topping up your mani-pedi or grooming your lashes and brows, the Duck Squad have your back (starting at the happily affordable price of $X)! We sat down with founder Yulia to find out a little more about the brand.
Duck & Dry founder Yulia Rorstrom
Hey Yulia! You really are the one‐stop shop for every pampering need. What was it about the collab with Primark that really got you excited?
The new concept of an in-store Beauty Studio, with affordable but high-quality beauty services really excited me. It's great to be enhancing the customers’ retail experience further. I was really impressed with Primark's bold vision of launching full-scale beauty spaces; it's given me the opportunity to reach a new audience.
What can customers expect from the Duck & Dry experience?
We'll be offering express beauty services in a buzzing retail space. In addition to hair, we've also introduced nail and brow services with our new brands Duck & File Xpress and Duck & Pluck Xpress. Prices start at $X for threading, $X for nails, and $X for hair, with exclusive styles just for Primark. Our beauty studios are so bright and welcoming, with accents of the Duck & Dry brand colors. Most of our services happen on a walk-in basis while customers are shopping, but we have online bookings available, too.
What’s the secret to the perfect blow dry?
Ha! Good question! A good volumizing and cleansing shampoo and conditioner are essential to maintain that all-important bounce, instead of a nourishing, heavy shampoo. Also, a texture spray like our Duck & Dry Oomph! is amazing for adding extra lift.
Top 5 haircare hacks?
1. Always use heat protector when using electrical products.
2. Get a haircut regularly, at least every 6 weeks to get rid of dry ends.
3. Try to invest in natural haircare, like our Duck & Dry collection: it features naturally active ingredients.
4. When out in the sun, try to wear a hat to protect your hair from drying out from the rays.
5. If you have fine hair that tends to get knotted easily, invest in a detangling spray and brush.
5. Which part of the Birmingham store (other than your own of course) are you most excited about visiting?
My two little kids and I can’t wait to visit the Disney Café (maybe me more than them!). It’s the first of its kind ever, so we’re quite excited at the prospect of having them as our neighbors.
6. What nail trends will you be offering in Birmingham?
We’ll be using Primark’s new nail polishes and we’re especially loving their latest collection, with a pastel palette of nudes and pinks and a sheen of rose gold.
9. What sets you apart from other blow dry bars?
Duck & Dry Xpress will offer fast, great quality beauty services at affordable prices, in a welcoming, bright and warm setting.
10. What's the one Duck & Dry beauty treatment that every Primark customer should be trying?
Since our origins are with our blow dry services, we'd recommend a style from our Duck & Dry Xpress hair menu – especially the Braid‐a‐licious look, featuring a combo of our signature braids and waves. It's perfect for so many occasions!
7. Should you always match your mani to your pedi? (Asking for a friend…)
It depends on your overall look. But I personally would say yes, a coordinated mani/pedi always works well. But if you’re going for a more statement, high‐fash look, then why not mix and match?
8. What are the top 5 reasons you love hairdressing and beauty?
The main reasons I entered the industry are my passions for:
1. Entrepreneurship and seeing my vision and concept turn into reality.
2. Creating a fun and solid brand as a foundation to expand.
3. Empowering women with a bouncy blow dry to add a bounce to their step along their own journeys.
4. Adding the experiential element to beauty services.
5. Growing my team and interacting with so many wonderful people during my journey!