Day in the life: Andrew Beller
Talking fashion with Primark's own Andrew Beller
Andrew Beller is one of our talented menswear designers, whose ideas and eye help give direction to the Primark’s men’s collections. Beller was born and raised in America and is now based in Ireland, where he works from our Dublin head office. We had the chance to spend some time with Beller over London Collection Men’s, gaining insight into the creative process in its first stages. We watched while Beller gathered inspiration from sketching in his notebook, to capturing the industries best dressed on his camera.
Choosing someone that Beller considers a style icon seemed to come with ease for the designer, who selected the late Nirvana front man Kurt Cobain. “My first CD was ‘In Utero’ by Nirvana, and he has always inspired my personal style.”
Beller’s excitement with Cobain lies with the musician’s distinctive fashion sense, “He was totally original, and looked amazing even when he was trying to look awful!”
Beller describes his own sartorial skills as “very casual”. Opting out of the smart code of dress and keeping it simple is how he likes to dress.“You’ll rarely see me in a tie, even if I’m wearing a suit. My favourite outfit is a pair of cuffed denim or trousers with a basic tee, under a lightweight coat and a pair of trainers. I prefer to keep it simple!”
When it comes to the division between high street and high fashion, Beller prefers to mix it up. The designer likes to focus on statement luxury items such as jackets and mix it up with vintage one off pieces and also high street designs. “I splurge occasionally on jackets, shirts, denim and basics from high fashion brands, and then combine them with my favourite pieces from high street. I’m also a big fan of the classics – so I’ll always have something vintage thrown in there.”
What are your top three tips to get through London Collections Men?
1. A smartphone
2. A nice pair of shoes
3. Many many cups of coffee!
Five questions for Andrew
1. What does a normal day in your life consist of? Pulling inspiration, sketching new prints/garments, going on shopping trips to see what new trends are developing, working with buyers to plan upcoming seasons, selecting looks for upcoming campaigns... In fashion, you’re always doing something different – which helps keep it interesting. You never have the same day twice.
2. How did you get into fashion design? I studied graphic design in college, and always wanted to apply that to fashion. I started my career designing graphics for tees, hoodies, etc – and have been in the industry ever since.
3. What’s the best advice you’ve been given in regards to your career and what advice would you give to fledging designers? The most important thing is just to work hard! It’s not the most glamorous advice – but you’d be surprised what you’re capable of if you put the time and effort in.
4. How would you describe your role at Primark and what’s your favourite aspect of the job? I work alongside a team of very talented designers to identify upcoming menswear trends, and design the garments that make up Primark’s amazing fashion at amazing prices each season. My favourite aspect of the job is travelling and seeing new brands, and how people dress in different cities.
5. Where’s your favourite city to visit and why? I love visiting New York City. My wife and I lived there for 5 years - so we love to go back to shop, eat, and see all our friends!